Friday, March 28, 2014

What Was I Saying?

If you wish to forget anything on the spot, make a note that this thing is to be remembered. -Edgar Allan Poe

Since being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in 2010, I've been on a number of immunosuppressant medications. My condition can lead to cognitive fatigue which, when paired with the medications' side effects of possible memory loss, means my memory is effectively shot.




It's difficult to describe how this shift in my cognitive ability has changed the way I approach communication and memory. Like my father (who some call an encyclopedia), I could easily remember (usually useless) tidbits with ease. And now? Now I sometimes forget what I'm saying mid-sentence. 


I, uh, blue?

My mother's memory is also slipping, so you should hear the two of us talking. Sometimes, it goes something like this (seriously):

Me: Did you hear about blah, blah exciting thing?
Mom: Yes! I heard about it when I was looking at a thing I wanted to tell you about...
Me: Cool, I...uh...there was a point I was getting at. I forgot it.
Mom: I wanted to say something too, but I forgot. Also, I wrote a note to tell you about something, but I left the note at work.
Me: Oh. <frown>
Mom: Want a cookie?
Me: Ok!

It's pretty hilarious/sad and there's usually a cookie or candy involved, so it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Regardless, I've spent the past 4 years retraining my brain to process and recall information differently.

Since I can no longer simply recall information, I've had to attach ideas and memories to images or recall related images so I can know what in the world I was talking about. If I need to remember that one movie that actress with the hair was in, I have to pause mid-sentence, recall the movie character, or recall the poster/packaging/trailer to find the movie title. If you've been fortunate enough to see this in person, it looks like I'm staring into space in the middle of a conversation. It's awkward, but it's been the most effective way I can recall information.


This awkward.

I've also started keeping lists. It's helps keep track of what I need to do. Otherwise, that one important thing I really needed to do? Yup, fell right out of my head.


Deodorant is important.


I've been using Google Keep so I can access my lists on my computer and on my phone, but I'm trying to find better ways of managing my brain.


Has anyone else had memory issues? How do you cope with them and what tools do you use to help you get through the day? 

Um...What was I talking about? Ooo, a cookie!


Yeay! ^ ^

No comments:

Post a Comment